Untitled Document
SEARCH FOR A CLUB
Media
Untitled Document
in this section
Untitled Document
  Most Recent
  Archives
 
Untitled Document
Untitled Document
NEWS

Mar

15

Concacaf suspends all games due to Covid-19

Category: | 0 Replies


Amidst global concerns and rising cases of the Novel Corona Virus (Covid-19) Concacaf has taken the decision to suspend all competitions and games.

That means that Barbados’ senior men’s national team and the Barbados Defence Force Sports Programme (BDFSP) will no longer be participating in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Qualifiers, due to be played in the March 2020 FIFA window, or the Concacaf Caribbean Cup Shield.

President of the local governing body Randy Harris, who is also Vice President of Concacaf (Caribbean) noted the health of officials and players were paramount.

“Concacaf made a decision based on information they have concerning the home countries that matches were scheduled to be played, and the fact that most of those countries have cases of Covid-19. We have no reason to really panic,” he said. 

To date, Barbados has not had any confirmed cases of the virus and as far as local football is concerned, Harris, who is also president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), said games will continue to be played as scheduled until otherwise stated.

“The BFA had a crisis management game earlier this week and based on information that we have received, we’re putting measures in place to minimize the possibility of infection. As far as the games are concerned, we are still on track because we have no real reason to suspect anything at this time.

“If we have cause and we are directed by the Ministry of Health and other agencies to shut down we will, but all matches will be played as scheduled until such time,” he stressed. 

Following a gathering of the Concacaf Council last Thursday, via conference call, the decision was taken to suspend all upcoming competitions scheduled for the next month.

According to a release from Concacaf, the decision was made with the welfare of all involved and in light of the developing travel restrictions and public health guidelines.

“Concacaf is committed to working with key stakeholders to consider options on how and when to reconvene these competitions and any new decision will be communicated in due course,” the release read.


0 Comments
LATEST HIGHLIGHTS
Untitled Document
Forde approves IFA...
May 13, 2020
Concacaf MAs tippe...
May 04, 2020
Skeete one step cl...
April 29, 2020
BFA offices close ...
March 24, 2020
BFA suspends all g...
March 17, 2020
 
Untitled Document
Untitled Document
© Copyright Barbados Football Association 2020.
All Rights Reserved.
JOIN OUR MAILING LIST