Following the announcement of the reinstatement of curfew beginning today, football and other contact sports have been sidelined momentarily.
President Randy Harris said he was concerned by the setback where football will not be played for some time.
“I was hoping we would have at least be able to restart the Premier League by October at the latest. This is unfortunate, but we all understand where we stand. The country comes first and obviously, all of us want to be comfortable under these circumstances,” he said.
Last year March, the Premier League came to a screeching halt after the first COVID positive case was identified on island and the announcement of a full shutdown followed.
Since then, the Tridents resumed training but that was halted last December when the COVID positive numbers increased again. Training resumed ahead of their FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualifiers and Concacaf Gold Cup.
However, this new Directive begins today and expires on July 25, and has made allowances for football training to continue.
Head Coach Russell Latapy noted the Tridents next competitive game is not until March 2022 for the Concacaf Nations League.
“It is plain to me and everybody that in order for us to go and compete well and have results, we need to play football. That will give us a yardstick of where we are. We understand the level at Gold Cup and World Cup level, so we need matches to prepare. It is a question I have to sit down with the President and General Secretary. Once we have some clarity in terms of how we move forward in terms of our protocols, we will try to put some friendlies in place,” he said.