As Government releases some of its stringent measures since the country went into a second lockdown in January, some sporting fraternities have been given the green light to resume training.
Last evening during a press conference, Prime Minister Mia Mottley made the disclosure.
“All sporting activities may resume for practice only. Sporting bodies must submit their protocols to the COVID Monitoring Unit with the prior approval of the Unit. Having said that, we’re not yet in a position to allow basketball, netball, wrestling, rugby, and horse racing, [all] for different reasons,” she said.
Football and cricket has been given the nod for practice only, while some other sports have greater restrictions in place.
“Over the course of the next three weeks of practice and training, spectators will not be allowed at any sporting activities. However, essential support personnel in sports training may be there,” she said.
The new COVID-19 protocols take effect from April 27, where a curfew will be in place from midnight to 5 a.m. from Thursday to Monday, with no curfew in place on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays.
Last December, training came to an abrupt halt when the island saw a rise in COVID-positive cases, forcing the island into a second lockdown in January.
The senior men were unable to train ahead of the first leg of their 2022 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers, and made the trek to Cap Cana in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic last month for a two-week training camp ahead of their matchups against Panama and Anguilla on March 25 and 30 respectively.