With the possibility of a restart of sports by this month’s end, the Barbados Football Association is raring and ready to return to the pitch.
General Secretary Edwyn Wood said management had been planning for a while, and put measures in place to ensure the safety of members.
“It is welcoming news because we have been preparing for a while for the resumption of football. Two weeks ago we had a vaccination drive at the Association to try to encourage our members to get vaccinated. It would be fine if we were able to start. We’ve been planning for a while, and I think once we get the go-ahead, and we give the clubs enough time to make the necessary arrangements, we should be ready to go. Once the protocols are favorable for us to operate, we should be ready to go,” he said.
Minister of Sports Charles Griffith announced on February 7 that his ministry was working on safely resuming sports in the country, possibly before month-end.
“. . . We are collaborating and not working in silos. We are pursuing best practices with a view to getting sports reopened perhaps before the end of the month. We are following the science and best practices,” the minister said.
The domestic football season was halted abruptly with the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020. Since then, all teams have been starved of competitive football. While the national teams remain in training, there have been many starts and stops due to COVID-19 related concerns.